6 Steps to a Montana Salesperson Real Estate License
- Get information from Montana Board of Realty Regulation about obtaining a real estate salesperson license:
- Online at www.realestate.mt.gov
- Call (406) 841-2325, or
- Write to PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59602-0513.
- Register for our state-approved 60-hour Salesperson Pre-licensing Course using the registration form on this website.
If you would rather register by phone, call us toll-free at (800) 845-7491, or in Missoula call (406) 543-3269. Our office is open 9am to 4pm Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- Register for an exam date with PSI. All applicants must register for the PSI exam in advance of taking the salesperson exam. Schedule online at www.psiexams.com or call (800) 733-9267 to register. The examination fee is $106 (subject to changes). Generally it is best to take the exam as soon as possible after completing our class. Exam scheduling works on a first-come, first-serve basis so the sooner you contact them the better chances you have for obtaining the date and location you want. Be sure to register for the complete exam – national and state portions combined. No changes can be made at the test center. See below for more information about the PSI salesperson exam.
- Complete the required 60-hour Salesperson Pre-licensing Course with Connole-Morton Real Estate School in Billings or Missoula. You will receive a “Certificate of Completion” at the end of the course.
- Pass the Montana Salesperson Exam at the PSI assessment center with a 70% or better score.
- Select a sponsoring Broker and apply to the Montana Board of Realty Regulation for your salesperson license. Required Documents Checklist to submit with Real Estate Salesperson New Licensee application:
- Certificate of Completion of 60 hours pre-licensing education
- Exam results of passing the Montana Salesperson examination (state & national portions)
- Official license verification (if applicant has ever held a professional license of any type)
- Application fee $185
The PSI Real Estate Salesperson Exam
The PSI Real Estate COMPLETE Salesperson Licensing examination consists of two separate sections – state and national. Each section is graded and scored separately.
The national section consists of 80 questions. These questions cover the areas of general real estate and contract law, financing, survey descriptions, property taxes, ethics, mathematics, closing and settlement practices and the Federal Fair Housing Act. Salesperson candidates are required to achieve a score of 70% or better on this section.
The state section of the exam consists of 33-35 questions covering Montana laws. The questions cover such topics as licensing, trust accounts, deeds, foreclosures and the landlord-tenant act. Salesperson candidates must score at least 70% of state-specific questions.
You can schedule your exam online or by phone at www.psiexams.com or 800-733-9267. Scheduling works on a first-come, first-served basis so it is recommended that you schedule your exam 4-6 weeks in advance to get the location and dates that you want. You must cancel or reschedule your exam appointment 2 business days prior to your exam to avoid a penalty. When scheduling your exam, you will need to choose “Government/State Licensing Agencies,” Montana Real Estate Salesperson Licensing Exam, and make sure to choose the “Complete” exam.
Please note that Great Falls no longer has a testing center. There are four testing centers across Montana: Billings, Helena, Missoula and Kalispell. To view testing center locations in detail and for directions click here.